Yeah, I’ve been itchin’ for a good old fashion road trip. But really, when am I not? Sit back, relax and enjoy some history of the California roadtrip in a little Vintage California montage.
1-4. Life magazine published an ambitious, 10-page tribute to the American Northwest in August 1961. Shot by J.R. Everman
5. Photograph of Jewell Teegardin fishing on a rock above the falls and Beatrice Williams fishing in the foreground, Rainbow Angling Club, Azusa, October 1930. Both women can be seen wearing knee-high laced-up boots, breeches, and sleeveless collared shirts. They hold fishing poles and have baskets slung over their shoulders.
6. Pool jumps. National Geographic, February 1976
7. Camping at the edge. National Geographic, 1970
9. and 10. Play and relax in the 1930’s.
11. Drive break/Scenic Stop. 1930’s on State Highway 88 south of Lake Tahoe.
12. California coast San Diego to San Franscico. 1965 Volkswagen Beetle.
13. and 14. Photo: Bill Bliss
15. Ice Cream break for the boys in Palos Verdes, CA. 1965 California road trip in a 1955 DeSoto.
16. A little Wetsand history! The Menzel family road trip set up…. that we wish was still around! Photo: Howard Menzel